The first Catholic church in Šiluva was built in 1457. Later, the Calvinists prevailed but the apparition of the Virgin Mary in 1608 and the events that followed, when documents of the Catholic Church and a miraculous painting were found in a chest buried in the ground, helped the Catholics to reclaim the land. The icon of Our Lady of Šiluva painted in the beginning of the 17th century, and famous for its miracles, can be found in the high altar of the church. It was granted a Canonical coronation in 1786 and is still famous for its graces as evidenced by the numerous votive offerings hanging nearby. The red brick church was built in 1786. The space between the church and chapel was renovated in 2008 and a monument to John Paul II was erected.
For a long time, a wooden chapel stood at the place of the apparition of the Virgin Mary. The brick chapel was designed for the 300th anniversary of the apparition of the Virgin Mary in Šiluva (architect A. Vivulskis). The cornerstone was consecrated by priest and poet Maironis in 1912. The chapel, which is 44 meters tall, was finished in 1924. Inside it, the altar was built on the stone of the Apparition with a sculpture of the Virgin Mary above.