The church in Verpena was built in 1775 at the initiative of Count Valavičius. In the years 1901 – 1908, Kelmė Catholics also prayed there because the church in Kelmė was still under construction. The tradition of the procession traveling 3,5 kilometers to Verpena during the church festival of St. Anne remained to this day. The wooden church of Verpena is characteristic of folk architecture. It is of a rectangular plan, has one tower and one nave. Its shape resembles the brick Evangelical Reformed Church in Kelmė. The cross of the Crucified Jesus in the central altar of the church is leaning forward as if bringing the faithful closer to His suffering, His holiness and to the possibility of experiencing His graces.